Philippines journalist Ressa and Russian journalist Muratov win 2021 Nobel Peace Prize
Philippines journalist Maria Ressa and Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov, won the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday.
* Philippines journalist Maria Ressa was "speechless" upon learning on Friday that she was one of the two winners of this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
"I'm speechless, thank you so very much," Ressa said when called by Olav Njoelstad, Secretary of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, minutes before the 0900 GMT announcement of the prize.
A recording of the conversation was later released by the award-giving body.
Ressa shares the award with Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov.
* The U.N. human rights office congratulated Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov on receiving the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, saying it was "recognition of the importance of the work of journalists in the most difficult circumstances".
"Throughout the years we've seen an increase in attacks in journalists during the COVID lockdown as well," spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani told journalists at a U.N. briefing in Geneva.
"I think I’d speak for the High Commissioner (Michelle Bachelet) when I say congratulations to all journalists out there who are doing their job to keep us informed and to amplify the voices of victims everywhere," she added.
- Hanoi launches first safety tour in new normal
- The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors Quantity Surveying Division Conference 2021
- North-central Vietnamese province welcomes vaccinated domestic tourists
- Vietnamese ports among top 50 effective container seaports
- ROK says it reaches goal of 70% vaccinations for COVID-19
Vietnamese ports among top 50 effective container seaports
Vietnam’s biggest conglomerate will build a $387 million battery cell plant for its electric vehicles
JICA partners VP Bank in promoting financial access for women-led SMS in Vietnam
"Three-on-the-spot" model may be stopped in localities with high vaccination rate: Deputy PM
Firms with revenue less than VND200 billion enjoy 30% reduction in CIT