Illegal fishing needs to be terminated to remove yellow card
HCMC – Vietnam has made progress in combatting illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing after five years of being given a yellow card by the European Commission (EU). However, the country still faces outstanding issues that must be resolved quickly.
During an online conference on combatting IUU fishing, the Government Office issued Notice 393 on the conclusion of Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh.
According to the notice, the EU acknowledges Vietnam’s efforts in fighting against IUU fishing during the past five years. However, if the country fails to fully meet the EU’s requirements, removing the yellow card on IUU fishing would be tough.
Removing the EC’s sanction does not just involve dealing with the commission but also targets the sustainable development of Vietnam’s fishery industry. This is aimed at ensuring residents benefit and Vietnam committed to the international treaty on a sustainable sea environment and ecosystem protection to which it is a signatory.
Therefore, ministries, departments and localities need to strictly comply with fisheries regulations, such as issuing fishing permits and installing a video management system.
The prime minister requested the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development prepare a 180-day action plan to combat IUU fishing as recommended by the EC until May 2023 and submit it to the Government for consideration.
The Ministry of Defense was asked to direct the competent authorities to coordinate with the relevant ministries, departments, coastal provinces, and cities to terminate illegal fishing in overseas waters before March 31, 2023.
The prime minister also ordered that resources such as the workforce, funds and equipment be prioritized to combat IUU fishing.
- Harbour BioMed Reports Results of Phase Ib Clinical Trial of Porustobart in Combination of Toripalimab in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma at ASCO 2023
- GreenCo Promotes Early Preparation for Enhanced ESG Disclosures in 2024
- Da Nang aims to become attractive logistics centre by 2030
- NetEase Games Unveils PinCool, Inc., a New Multifunctional Studio Aiming to Produce Global Entertainment Content
- Veken And ESY SUNHOME Reached A Strategic Cooperation on Sodium Batteries to Jointly Promote the New Development of Energy Storage