Captain Sergio Ramos left out of Spain squad for Euro 2020
Ramos has played just five games in all competitions this year. (Photo: Reuters)
Spain captain Sergio Ramos has been left out of the squad for Euro 2020, coach Luis Enrique said on Monday.
The Real Madrid centre-back won the last of his 180 caps in March but has endured an injury-plagued season that has limited him to just 15 La Liga appearances and only five games in all competitions in 2021. Ramos's team mate Dani Carvajal also missed out through injury, meaning there are no Real players amongst the squad
* Top-seeded Bianca Andreescu needed just 61 minutes on Monday to post a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Spanish qualifier Andrea Lazaro Garcia in the first round of the Internationaux de Strasbourg in France. Andreescu next faces Belgium's Maryna Zanevska, who defeated Yuliya Hatouka of Belarus 6-2, 6-1 in a battle of qualifiers.
* Romania's Sorana Cirstea dispatched American Venus Williams 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 in the first round of the Internationaux de Strasbourg in France on Monday. Cirstea will face sixth-seeded Shuai Zhang of China after the latter posted a 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Japan's Misaki Doi.
* Sergio Aguero is close to agreeing a move to Barcelona that would unite him with fellow Argentine superstar Lionel Messi, according to Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola. City's record goalscorer, who has spent a decade at the Etihad, scored a quickfire double in the champions' 5-0 win over Everton in his final Premier League appearance for the club on Sunday.
* Max Mosley, the former head of Formula One's governing body who went on to become a high-profile privacy campaigner, has died aged 81 after suffering from cancer, his family said on Monday.
* Italy midfielder Stefano Sensi's involvement in Euro 2020 is in doubt after he picked up a thigh injury during Inter Milan’s win over Udinese on Sunday. The 25-year-old, who was named in Roberto Mancini’s 33-man preliminary Azzurri squad last week, limped off in the first half of the 5-1 win on the final day of the Serie A season.
* Wales forward Hal Robson-Kanu was left out of caretaker manager Robert Page's 28-member squad on Monday for a training camp in Portugal ahead of the European Championship. Robson-Kanu scored only two goals for West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League this season as they were relegated to the second-tier Championship after finishing second-bottom.
* Colombian Egan Bernal won stage 16 of the Giro d’Italia on Monday to strengthen his grip on the overall leader’s Maglia Rosa, as bad weather conditions forced the race from Sacile to Cortina d’Ampezzo to be shortened from 212km to 155km. Bernal now has a lead of two minutes and 24 seconds over second-placed Caruso in the general classification rankings.
* Croatian striker Mario Mandzukic confirmed on Monday (May 24) he was leaving AC Milan at the end of his six-month contract. The 35-year-old former Juventus and Bayern Munich player joined the club last January as cover for Zlatan Ibrahimovic but made just 11 appearances because of muscular problems and scored no goals.
* Real Betis captain Joaquin has signed a new one-year deal, the the Seville-based club announced on Monday, which ensures he will be playing La Liga football into his 40s. He is second on the all-time list of appearances in Spain's top flight having played 579 games, behind former Barcelona goalkeeper Andoni Zubizarreta (622), and will be the only player from the 2002 World Cup still playing in La Liga next season.
* Sevilla's Czech Republic goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik has confirmed he will leave the club when his contract expires next month. The 32-year-old joined the Andalusian side from Basel in 2018 and quickly established himself as first choice, making 66 La Liga starts during his first two seasons.
- Vietnam to send 19-strong delegation to Tokyo Paralympics
- First emergency treatment for UN staff member marks new milestone in Vietnam - UN ties
- How the Federal Republic of Germany shaped its image anew at documenta
- Executive interview: How Vietnam’s MBBank sets the highest level of banking standard
- BitDAO Raises $230M to Launch One of the World’s Largest DAOs
How Ho Chi Minh City support small traders during the Covid-19 pandemic
Many enterprise in the leather and footwear have a impressive growth during this time
Boosting domestic investment to bolster economic growth: experts
How to Acquire a Company in Vietnam as Foreigner
Napas unveils unified QR code system for bank transfers