Seminar seeks to improve earthquake preparedness of the community
Delegates at the seminar (Photo: NDO/Ha Linh)
NDO - The Earthquake information and Tsunami warning - Institute of Geophysics (IGP) under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology held a seminar entitled ‘Popularising knowledge about earthquakes and improving the earthquake preparedness of the community’ in Hanoi on November 23.
Speaking at the event, IGP Director General Dr. Nguyen Xuan Anh said that earthquakes are a type of natural disaster that does not occur as commonly as storms and floods; however, they have caused tremendous losses, claiming many lives and causing great damage to property.
According to statistics, more than 400 earthquakes with magnitude of 2.5 and higher and many smaller magnitude earthquakes have been recorded in Vietnam’s territories, with the most earthquake prone areas including the northwest, northcentral and north-eastern areas.
He stressed the importance of raising public awareness on earthquake safety and equipping them with earthquake response skills as well as measures for reducing the consequences of earthquakes.
- Omicron spread to at least seven U.S. states and many countries as South Africa Cases Almost Quadruple
- Vietnamese wood enterprises need to enhance competitiveness
- Bounce the day away at Ho Chi Minh City’s indoor trampoline park
- Vietnamese film 'Father and Son' to be screened at World Expo 2020 Dubai
- 18 foreign sailors rescued from a sinking ship in Vietnam