Wimbledon: Federer tops Cameron Norrie to enter last 16
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, UK - July 3, 2021 Switzerland's Roger Federer celebrates winning his third round match against the UK’s Cameron Norrie. (Photo: Reuters)
Swiss tennis legend Roger Federer was stretched to four sets but eventually prevailed in a hard-fought match against Cameron Norrie in the third round of Wimbledon 2021 in London on Saturday, with a 6-4, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 victory sending the sixth seed through to the round of 16 at the All England Club for the 17th time in his last 18 appearances.
* Second seed Daniil Medvedev overturned a two-set deficit for the first time in his career to grind down former runner-up Marin Cilic 6-7(3) 3-6 6-3 6-3 6-2 in a bruising third-round clash at Wimbledon on Saturday.
* Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber was put through the wringer early in her third-round clash with unseeded Aliaksandra Sasnovich on Saturday but the German rallied from a set down to win 2-6 6-0 6-1 after a rain delay.
* Italian seventh seed Matteo Berrettini strengthened his status as a genuine Wimbledon title contender by cruising into the fourth round on Saturday with a convincing 6-4 6-4 6-4 win over Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia. There was more joy for Italians on Saturday as 23rd seed Lorenzo Sonego defeated Australian James Duckworth 6-3 6-4 6-4, making it just the third time that two Italian men have advanced to the fourth round of the grasscourt major.
* Seventeen-year-old American Coco Gauff matched her dream Wimbledon debut as she again reached the fourth round with a 6-3 6-3 defeat of Kaja Juvan on Saturday.
* It was good while it lasted but Nick Kyrgios's return to action was cut short by injury on Saturday (Jul 3) as the Australian maverick was forced to quit after two sets against Felix Auger-Aliassime at Wimbledon.
* Fourth seed Alexander Zverev beat American Taylor Fritz 6-7(3) 6-4 6-3 7-6(4) on Saturday to reach the fourth round of Wimbledon and match his best performance at the grasscourt Grand Slam.
* Barbora Krejcikova continued her extraordinary transformation from doubles specialist to world-class singles player as she reached the last 16 at Wimbledon on Saturday. The Czech, who came from nowhere to win the French Open last month, outlasted Latvian Anastasija Sevastova 7-6(1) 3-6 7-5 in a two-and-a-half battle on Court Three.
* Ashleigh Barty set up a clash of French Open winners in the Last 16 of Wimbledon after the world numer one beat Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic 6-3, 7-5 on Saturday. The 25-year-od Australian won the 2019 French Open and meets the current champion of Paris Barbora Krejcikova of the Czech Republic for a place in the last eight.
* Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton has extended his contract with Mercedes until 2023, the team announced on Saturday (Jul 3). Hamilton, 36, has won six of his seven F1 titles with the outfit since joining them in 2013.
* Defending champion Tadej Pogacar put the hammer down on the Tour de France on Saturday as he claimed the overall leader's yellow jersey with a vintage ride on the eighth stage, a 150.8-km Alpine trek from Oyonnax to Le Grand Bornand.
* Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel was handed a three place grid drop on his 34th birthday on Saturday for impeding Alpine's Fernando Alonso in Austrian Grand Prix qualifying.
- Covid 19 Overshadows Olympics Top Japan Medic Urges Nationwide State of Emergency
- First-ever Hang Seng Index Warrants by Kenanga
- AC Energy and NEFIN Joint Venture to Offer Carbon Neutrality Solutions Across Asia
- Top 10 highest mountains in Vietnam attract tourists
- Additional 3,943 COVID-19 cases take national count to over 181,000