Chelsea gain revenge over Leicester in crunch top-four battle
Chelsea players celebrate scoring a goal during their Premier League match against Leicester City. (Photo: Reuters)
Chelsea seized control of their destiny in the Premier League top-four battle as they avenged their FA Cup final defeat by Leicester City to beat them 2-1 at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.
Roared on by 8,000 fans Thomas Tuchel's side dominated and were rewarded after the break with Antonio Rudiger bundling in their opener before Jorginho rolled home a penalty.
* Brighton & Hove Albion scored three times in the second half to fight back from two goals down and beat Manchester City 3-2 at home on Tuesday in a thrilling Premier League encounter in which the champions lost Joao Cancelo to an early red card.
* Leeds United's Patrick Bamford and Tyler Roberts scored late on to spoil the party for Southampton fans as the visitors claimed a 2-0 victory in the Premier League match played in front of 8,000 supporters on Tuesday.
* Benevento were relegated from Serie A after Torino secured their spot in the Italian top flight for next season with a goalless draw at Lazio on Tuesday. Filippo Inzaghi's side have 32 points with one game remaining and trail 17th-placed Torino, who they face in the last round of matches, by four points.
* Former Manchester United forward Eric Cantona became the third player to be inducted into the Premier League's Hall of Fame after former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer and ex-Arsenal forward Thierry Henry, the league said on Tuesday. Cantona won four league titles in five seasons at United, scoring 70 goals in 156 league appearances for the Old Trafford club.
* Southampton have turned English forward Theo Walcott's loan move from Everton into a permanent deal until 2023, the Premier League club said on Tuesday. The 32-year-old scored three goals in 22 appearances after joining Southampton in October, making an emotional return to his boyhood club after nearly 15 years.
* Manager Roy Hodgson will leave Crystal Palace at the end of the season, the Premier League club said in a statement on Tuesday. The 73-year-old joined Palace in September 2017 and has kept them in the Premier League for four seasons in a row. His assistant, Ray Lewington, is also leaving, Palace said.
* Former champion Stan Wawrinka has pulled out of the French Open after failing to recover sufficiently from an operation he underwent on his left foot in March, a source told Reuters on Tuesday (May 18). The 36-year-old Swiss, who won the claycourt Grand Slam at Roland Garros in 2015, has not played on the Tour since his opening round loss in March.
* Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour will cover flight and transfer costs for a section of their fans to attend the Champions League final against Chelsea on May 29, the Premier League champions said on Tuesday (May 18). The game was due to be played at the Ataturk Stadium in Istanbul but was moved to the Estadio de Dragao in Porto after Turkey was added to the British government's red list due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
* A rusty Roger Federer was beaten 6-4 4-6 6-4 by Spaniard Pablo Andujar on his return to the ATP Tour at the claycourt Geneva Open on Tuesday, but there were still plenty of positives for the Swiss in his performance. Federer missed nearly the entire 2020 season after twice having knee surgery. He returned to the Tour at the Qatar Open in March, but had not played since losing in the quarter-finals in Doha.
* Sweden coach Janne Andersson has named Jordan Larsson, son of goalscoring great Henrik, to replace the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic in his 26-man squad for Euro 2020. Ibrahimovic, who returned to international football in March following an absence of almost five years, injured his knee playing for AC Milan against Juventus earlier this month, opening a spot for the son of Ibrahimovic's former international strike partner.
* Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema has been included in France's squad for the European Championship in a surprise move by coach Didier Deschamps on Tuesday (May 18). Benzema, who has scored 29 goals in all competitions for Real this season, has not played for Les Bleus since 2015 after a blackmailing scandal over which he faces a trial in October.
* Besiktas claimed a domestic double on Tuesday (May 18) with a 2-0 win over Antalyaspor to lift the Turkish Cup after securing their 16th Super Lig title at the weekend. Besiktas on Saturday edged out bitter rivals Galatasaray on goal difference in the title race, while third-placed Istanbul rivals Fenerbahce finished two points behind.
- Diplomatic sector needs proactive, sharp and creative operation: PM
- Government buys 30 million doses of AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine from VNVC
- Who will be eligible for getting China-donated COVID-19 vaccines in Vietnam?
- Philippines signs deal for 40 mln Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 doses
- COVID-19 Vaccine Fund: The key to beating the pandemic