North Macedonia claim memorable victory over Germany with late winner
North Macedonia's Eljif Elmas scores their second goal. (Reuters)
North Macedonia scored an 85th-minute winner through Eljif Elmas to stun hosts Germany 2-1 in their World Cup Group J qualifier on Wednesday (Mar 31) as the Balkan country celebrated their greatest international victory.
Elmas slotted in after the four-times world champions had controlled the game but struggled to convert chances against the disciplined North Macedonians, ranked 65th in the world.
* Goals from Stefano Sensi and Ciro Immobile earned Italy a 2-0 victory over Lithuania on Wednesday as Roberto Mancini's side got their third win from three games in 2022 World Cup qualification Group C.
* Substitute Andreas Skov Olsen scored twice in a scintillating second half as Denmark made it three World Cup qualifying wins out of three with a 4-0 demolition of Austria in Group F on Wednesday.
* Spain pulled off a convincing 3-1 win at home to Kosovo in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday although goalkeeper Unai Simon had a night to forget, committing a tremendous blunder far from his area to cost his side a goal.
* Armenia struck two goals inside the final four minutes for a 3-2 victory over Romania in Yerevan on Wednesday (Mar 31) to make it three wins out of three and take top spot in European World Cup qualifying Group J.
* Harry Maguire smashed home a late winner as England laboured to a 2-1 victory over Poland in World Cup qualifying on Wednesday (Mar 31) after an error by John Stones nearly cost the hosts all three points.
* Antoine Griezmann struck again as France extended their World Cup qualifying Group D lead to four points with an unconvincing 1-0 away win against Bosnia on Wednesday (Mar 31).
* Teams will be allowed to use up to five substitutes per game during June's Euro 2020 tournament, UEFA's executive committee ruled on Wednesday (Mar 31). The five subs temporary amendment to the laws of the game was introduced due to the difficulties posed by playing through the COVID-19 pandemic and is currently applied to European club games and World Cup qualifying games in Europe.
* Premier League clubs paid a total of 272.2 million pounds (US$375.1 million) to agents in the year to Feb. 2021, with Chelsea heading the list of top-flight spenders, according to data released by the Football Association (FA) on Wednesday.
* Barcelona advanced to the last four of the women's Champions League with a 4-2 aggregate victory over Manchester City after a 2-1 defeat in the second leg of their quarter-final at the City Academy Stadium on Wednesday.
* Naomi Osaka had grown so accustomed to dominating that she was not immediately sure what lessons to take after her 23-match winning streak came to an abrupt end in quarter-final action at the Miami Open on Wednesday (Mar 31). Osaka, the reigning US Open and Australian Open champion whose last loss came in February 2020, was beaten 6-0 6-4 by Greek 23rd seed Maria Sakkari.