Sterling on target as Man City churn out another win
Manchester City's Raheem Sterling celebrates scoring their first goal. (Photo: Reuters)
The Manchester City winning machine ploughed on relentlessly towards the title with a 1-0 Premier League defeat of Arsenal courtesy of Raheem Sterling’s goal after 75 seconds on Sunday (Feb 21).
Sterling’s header from Riyad Mahrez’s cross caught Arsenal cold and was enough for City to claim an 18th consecutive win in all competitions and preserve their 10-point lead. Pep Guardiola’s side’s 13th successive league victory lifted them to 59 points from 25 games with Leicester City in second place on 49 points after they won 2-1 at Aston Villa.
* An impressive individual performance from Marcus Rashford steered Manchester United to a 3-1 home win over Newcastle United in the Premier League on Sunday, as the England forward scored one goal and had a hand in another.
* West Ham United claimed fourth spot in the Premier League as goals early in each half by Michail Antonio and Jesse Lingard earned them a 2-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
* Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman said he was even more disappointed by his side being held to a 1-1 draw at home to Cadiz in La Liga on Sunday than after last week's 4-1 home drubbing by Paris St-Germain. Barca led thanks to Lionel Messi's 32nd-minute penalty, but they failed to kill their opponents off, and Alex Fernandez levelled in the 89th minute, ending a run of seven straight league wins for the Catalans.
* Two goals from Lautaro Martinez and one from Romelu Lukaku earned Inter Milan a emphatic 3-0 win over AC Milan in Sunday’s derby at the San Siro, sending Antonio Conte’s side four points clear at the top of Serie A. The in-form Lukaku moved one clear of Cristiano Ronaldo as Serie A’s leading scorer this season, taking his tally to 17.
* Atalanta stormed to a 4-2 victory over Napoli in Serie A on Sunday, with the win sending Gian Piero Gasperini's side fourth in the standings. The defeat will increase the pressure on Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso, with Napoli now down in seventh on 40 points, three off the top four.
* Third-placed Paris St-Germain lost ground in the Ligue 1 title race when they slumped to a 2-0 home defeat against Monaco on Sunday after wins for their main rivals. Five days after humbling Barcelona 4-1 in the Champions League, the French champions lacked stamina and inspiration as they fell four points behind leaders Lille who have 58 points from 26 games after beating Lorient 4-1 on Sunday.
* RB Leipzig eased past Hertha Berlin 3-0 on Sunday to cut the gap with leaders Bayern Munich to two points with their fourth consecutive Bundesliga victory. The Saxony club are in second place on 47 points, with Bayern top on 49 following their 2-1 loss to Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
* Bournemouth's interim manager Jonathan Woodgate has been rewarded with a permanent job until the end of the season after an improvement in form since his appointment this month, the second-tier Championship club said on Sunday. Woodgate replaced Jason Tindall who was sacked after only seven months in charge and he has since overseen three wins, a draw and a defeat while they are also the only non-Premier League side to advance to the FA Cup quarter-finals.
* Ivan Dodig and Filip Polasek won their first Grand Slam title together on Sunday, taking down defending Australian Open men's doubles champions Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury 6-3 6-4 in the final. It was the first Grand Slam triumph for Polasek, 35, who came out of retirement in 2018, while Croatia's Dodig won his second men's doubles title after winning the 2015 French Open with Marcelo Melo.
* A very different Australian Open came to a familiar close on Sunday, with Novak Djokovic crowned champion for a record-extending ninth time and Serbian fans hailing a one-sided win over another would-be challenger in Daniil Medvedev. The world number one's 7-5 6-2 6-2 win on his favourite court secured his 18th Grand Slam title, bringing him within tantalising reach of Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal's all-time men's record of 20.
- Ministry of Transport warns about localities’ airport boom
- Vietnam COVID 19 Updates March 8 No new cases in the morning
- Oticon More™ - The World's First Hearing Aid Giving the Brain the Full Perspective
- Rap song from doctors, nurses with messages on COVID-19
- Vietnam strictly controls vehicle emissions to improve air quality