Why Vietnam wants to boost domestic coal production?
Vietnam calls for domestic coal production boost as it grows more reliant on imports.
The country may double the amount of coal-fired electric generation it installs by 2030 under a draft plan.
Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Against a backdrop of global calls to phase out fossil fuels to help reduce global greenhouse emissions, Vietnam wants to boost domestic coal production as it grows more reliant on imports.
The South East Asian country turned from a net coal exporter to an importer in the mid-2020s, and has been importing more of the fuel to feed its growing fleet of coal-fired power plants.
Related: Not just coal-fired plants, here’s the true carbon threat of Vietnam
“The coal industry needs to expand its production by focusing its investment in new mines and upgrading existing ones to meet the economy’s demand for coal,” Deputy Prime Minister of Vietnam, Mr. Le Van Thanh said in a statement on Monday.
Vietnam may double the amount of coal-fired electric generation it installs by 2030 under a draft plan submitted to the prime minister for approval earlier this month.
The government data showed, Vietnam’s coal imports rose by a quarter last year to 54.8 million tonnes, while its domestic coal output rose 5.1% to 48.6 million tonnes.
During his visit to the country’s largest coal miner, Vinacomin, over the weekend, Thanh said the company, along with relevant authorities, need to “work out measures to produce enough coal for electricity generation”. Reuter‘s Alexander Smith reported.
- Here and Now, There and Then: Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University Drives Innovation and Invention, Locally and Globally
- IT Tech Packaging, Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2022 Unaudited Financial Results
- Launched to immediate global acclaim via Livestream: Absen's pioneering KLCOB Micro LED product series
- SEMI Applauds President Biden's Signing of CHIPS and Science Act of 2022
- OpenSpace Expands Strategic Capital with an Additional US$9M in Funding, Bringing Series D Total to US$111M
Vietlott Energy Lottery 6/55 August 9: Discover the proprietor of an enormous Jackpot of 40 billion VND?
Tamagotchi children: Elevating ‘digital infants’ in metaverse
BM PLASCO honored in Forbes Vietnam's Top 50 best listed firms
Clearing the way to legal support for BNPL services
Long way to go for Vietnamese durian