Sugarcane collected at VND770-VND800 per kilogram this crop
Farmers harvest sugarcane in the Mekong Delta. (Photo: SGGP)
Shortly, the company will apply these buying rates on sugarcane-growing households in Hau Giang Province. However, many farmers said that with such buying price, sugarcane farmers will make a precarious living as all investment costs for sugarcane cultivation have increased.
In recent years, growing sugarcane was no longer profitable or even loss-making so many farmers in the Mekong Delta have simultaneously destroyed their sugarcane fields. In Hau Giang Province, from 2018 and earlier, the area of sugarcane was from 10,580 hectares of sugarcane upwards while it is merely 5,900 hectares this year.
In Long An, Soc Trang, Ben Tre, Tra Vinh, and Kien Giang provinces, thousands of hectares of sugarcane were chopped down by farmers to shift to growing fruit trees and vegetables, and aquaculture. The departments of Agriculture and Rural Development concerned that if the price of sugarcane remains at a low level in this sugarcane crop and farmers continue to suffer losses, the area of sugarcane will be reduced more drastically.
By Nguyen Thanh – Translated by Bao Nghi
- Bac Giang 87 new cases, HCMC 45 as Covid-19 pandemic rages on
- Librestream Brings its Onsight Augmented Reality Solution to Japan and Establishes Localized Sales and Support Operations
- Vietnam has vaccinated more than 1.77 million of its 96-million population
- How Putin got exactly everything he wanted from US President Joe Biden
- Locatelli brace sends dominant Italy into Euro 2020 knockouts
How Ho Chi Minh City support small traders during the Covid-19 pandemic
Many enterprise in the leather and footwear have a impressive growth during this time
Boosting domestic investment to bolster economic growth: experts
How to Acquire a Company in Vietnam as Foreigner
Napas unveils unified QR code system for bank transfers