UN chief urges Israel to back away from West Bank annexation
He said an Israeli annexation would devastate any hopes for fresh negotiations and an eventual two-state solution.
Israel has announced its intention to begin annexing West Bank settlements and the Jordan Valley in July. Israel’s plan is backed by the US but faces strong opposition from the international community, particularly the Palestinians.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas warned Wednesday that if Israel annexes the West Bank, it will become an occupying power. He said annexing any part of Palestine is a crime and Palestinian categorically rejects US President Donald Trump’s Middle East peace plan.
- Vietnamese woman with ‘brittle bone’ disease offers free classes to disadvantaged youths
- Deputy PM orders maintaining readiness in pandemic fight
- Football: Torres hat-trick as record-breaking Man City beat Newcastle
- Ho Chi Minh City students learn by growing school gardens
- Capital city’s landmark cathedral under renovation