Rao Trang 3 accident suggests a reconsideration of small hydropower projects
The Saigon Times
HCMC – Typhoon Goni, the 10th storm expected to hit Vietnam this year, is forecast to leave a direct impact on and bring heavy downpours to localities in the central and Central Highlands of the country between November 4 and 6.
Nguyen Van Huong, head of the Climate Forecast Department under the national weather center, told
The most common forecast made by international weather centers is that after Goni barreled through the central part of the Philippines, it will enter the East Sea, downgrade its intensity and head toward Central Vietnam. The system could continue to weaken then and affect a vast area.
Japan’s weather center forecast that Goni will make landfall in Vietnam on Wednesday, November 4 and has a 70% chance of affecting a vast region running from central Ha Tinh Province to localities in the south.
However, international weather centers made different forecasts about the storm’s intensity when it makes a landfall in Vietnam, which could range between level 9 and 10.
According to the national weather center, the storm after entering the East Sea has a 20-30% chance of intensifying and a 60-70% chance of weakening, adding that it will bring heavy rains and winds to central localities.
Meanwhile, Truong Ba Kien from the Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change forecast that Goni could change its direction many times and move slower than Molave, the previous typhoon hitting Vietnam, as it enters the East Sea. Therefore, Goni may pack winds blowing at level 8-9 and even weaken into a tropical storm as it makes landfall in the country.
- Vietnam set to begin work on four major road projects next week
- Travel companies see positive outlook but challenges lie ahead
- Vietnam wants stronger agro-fishery exports to China
- HOSE reports 2022 revenue of nearly VND2 trillion
- Hanoi, South Korea to explore cooperation opportunities in smart city development
Travel companies see positive outlook but challenges lie ahead
Hanoi, South Korea to explore cooperation opportunities in smart city development
Open data and AI - the engine of economic growth
HanoiPlasPrintPack Exhibition launched to boost local plastic industry development
Vietnam urges China to facilitate Vietnamese seafood exports