Four pomelo planting areas in Ba Ria-Vung Tau licensed to export to US
The provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development named the four areas as the Kim Long organic pomelo farm in Chau Duc District, the Hoang Long pomelo farm, and two orchards owned by Truong Van Ut and Ho Hoang Kha, all in Phu My Township.
Those four areas have a total acreage of 68 hectares.
Ba Ria-Vung Tau is currently home to 1,163 hectares under pomelo with total output estimated at 4,500 tonnes a year. Most concentrated pomelo cultivation areas are in Chau Duc District and Phu My Township, with green-skin pomelo being the main variety.
Since the beginning of this year, the local agricultural sector has paid attention to encouraging and guiding farmers in following safe and organic cultivation standards. As a result, the quality of pomelo grown in the province, from the fruit’s appearance to taste, has improved remarkably, meeting the standards of markets with high requirements such as the US and the European Union.
The provincial authorities will continue to coordinate with local administrations to assess commercial pomelo planting areas. Those which have the potential for fruit export will receive guidance to apply for planting area codes.
The province will also organise training courses for farmers in accessing planting area codes and ensure human resources for setting up and managing planting areas and packaging facilities in accordance with requirements.
Chau Duc District is aiming to expand the pomelo planting areas given codes across the province to boost exports.
After over five years of negotiations, the US Department of Agriculture officially licensed the import of fresh pomelo from Viet Nam earlier this year.
Pomelo is the seventh fresh fruit of Viet Nam to be licensed to enter the US market, following mango, longan, lychee, dragon fruit, rambutan, and star apple.
The US is a potential market for Vietnamese fruit, as it has great demand for fruit, up to 12 million tonnes each year. Its domestic production has met just 70 per cent of the demand while the remaining 30 per cent, equivalent to 3.6 million tonnes, is imported.
To export pomelo to the US, the Plant Protection Department under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will work with relevant parties to carry out concerted measures, especially training farmers and providing exporting companies with information of the US’ import requirements. It will also maintain the granting of production unit codes and strictly monitor pest contamination in fruit.
- SK Biopharmaceuticals' Partner Angelini Pharma Launches Cenobamate in France
- Infobird Co., Ltd Announces Receipt of Delinquency Notification Letter from Nasdaq
- IBM and David Clark Cause Aim to Reduce Food Waste; Name AI-Powered Gardening App Winner of 5th Annual Call for Code
- Fanttik Revolutionizes Jump Starting with the T8 MAX this Christmas
- SX GLOBAL ANNOUNCES PROVISIONAL 2023 CALENDAR FOR SIX FIM WORLD SUPERCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP EVENTS