Vietjet to establish mobile wallet subsidiary
The board of directors of Vietnam’s low-cost carrier Vietjet Air has approved the establishment of an e-wallet service with a capital of VND50 billion (US$2.1 million).
The airline will own a 51 percent stake in the mobile wallet subsidiary, while it has not yet announced who will own the remaining 49 percent.
Vietjet’s deputy general director and CFO Ho Ngoc Yen Phuong is tasked with overseeing the incorporation of the new company.
Non-cash payments accounted for approximately $2.5 billion of the carrier’s revenue and 99.99 percent of the transactions in its ecosystem in 2019, Vietjet’s deputy general director Nguyen Thi Thuy Binh said at a recent conference held by Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper.
Vietjet’s customers use its platform not only to purchase air tickets but also for other services such as hotel reservations and car rental, Binh said.
The airline has determined that cashless payment will become an indispensible channel, helping consumers have one more paying option as carrying cash is no longer necessary.
There were more than 20 million e-wallet accounts in Vietnam as of January 2020, 94 percent of which were operated by MoMo, ViettelPay, Moca, AirPay, and ZaloPay, according to a report by market research start-up Asia Plus.
- Exhibition brings spring colours through collection of folk paintings
- Standing Deputy PM urges creating sustainable livelihoods for ethnic minorities
- Vietnam's Phu Quoc Island ready to welcome tourists for upcoming Lunar New Year fest
- Phú Quốc Island welcomes nearly 1,000 foreign visitors after one month of reopening
- Vice President extends Tet greetings to workers in Soc Trang Province
Asia biggest rice mill inaugurated in Vietnam
Former Leflair CEO Loïc Gautier Speaks Up About Audacious Move With Society Pass And His New Future (S2E26)
ERA Real Estate Vietnam unveils local franchise brands
Tay Nguyen coffee growers embrace sustainable models
Large caps cushion the market, VN-Index still falls 1 per cent